- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
If you believe that your injury, vehicle or personal property damage was a result of an accident or work performed by the Western Virginia Water Authority, please complete this Incident Investigation/Claim Form below.
The form can also be printed and a hard copy mailed to Western Virginia Water Authority (Risk Management Division) 601 S. Jefferson Street, Suite 210 Roanoke, VA 24011
You can also FAX a copy of this form to (540) 283-2997 or email email@example.com
Be sure to fill the entire form and include any information that will assist us with investigating your claim, such as repair receipt(s), photos of your damage, plumber’s statement/receipt, if appropriate; police report, if appropriate; medical bills and/or medical reports, if appropriate.
If you have questions or concerns regarding repairs following work performed by WVWA near your property and in public space, please call ( 540 ) 283.2964
Upon completion of this form, please click Submit. An auto-generated response will be displayed below once your form has been submitted. The form will automatically be forwarded to the WVWA's Risk Management Division.