- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
The Availability Application below should be filled out for any customer needing to establish a NEW water or sewer connection if one has not been established previously.
- If you are reconnecting an existing service or moving into a property that has had service in the past, please call 540.853.5700 to set-up an account in your name.
- If water or service service has not been previously established on your property, please fill out the availability applicaton below. If service is available, an Availability Letter and Number will be issued.
- Once you have been issued an Availability Letter and Number by the Water Authority please pay your fees through this link.
You can use our GIS to determine if you need to complete an Availability Application:
- Enter your property address in the Authority GIS by using the street number and street name only (do not enter Road, Street, Drive, etc.)
- Look in the Service Type box to see what type of service has been established.
- WA= water
- SW= sewer
- WASW = water and sewer
- A= active service
- I = inactive service
- If the Service Type box is blank or service is indicated as "I", please fill out the Availability Application. Your application will be responded to within two business days.
- If the service is active, please call our Customer Service Department at 853.5700 to set-up an account in your name.