- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
COVID19 and the WVWA
Learn how we are protecting our community and see what you can do to help
6/24/2020 3:20:00 PM
Carvins Cove Boat Landing Information
Click to see current information about visiting Carvins Cove.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
5/20/2020 10:39:00 AM
What kind of business is the Authority?The Western Virginia Water Authority is a public service authority formed and existing in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 51 of Title 15.2 of the Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, the Virginia Water and Waste Authorities Act 15.2-5100 – 15.2-5158.
What is the Authority’s address?The Authority’s main headquarters is the Coulter Building in Downtown Roanoke located at 601 S. Jefferson Street, Suite 200, 24011. A general mail address has been established, PO Box 1140 Roanoke, VA 24006-1140 for billing purposes and general use by divisions that do not have established mail delivery. Each operating area may publish its own mail address if it currently has regular mail delivery.
What is the tax id for the Authority?
The federal tax id for the Authority is 20-0897714. The Authority is sales tax exempt. The W9 form is available in our Financial Documents section.
Western Virginia Water Authority
601 S. Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24011