- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Simplify your life with Bank Draft
Click to see how Bank Drafting can simplify your life!
9/6/2017 10:40:00 AM
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
9/6/2017 10:39:00 AM
What are the reservoir levels today?
What are the reservoir levels today?
9/6/2017 10:29:00 AM
To schedule a tour of one of the Western Virginia Water Authority’s facilities, please call 853.5700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that tours are typically reserved for groups of 10 or more.
Carvins Cove Reservoir & Treatment Facility
The Carvins Cove Water Treatment Facility, located on Plantation Road, treats and delivers about nine million gallons of water a day. Students can tour the treatment facility and then take a short bus ride to our reservoir. Students must be in grade three or above to visit the water treatment facility; however, the reservoir is open to all ages. In addition to the environmental education programs, nature hikes are offered and picnic facilities are available.
Please allow 45 minutes to tour the treatment facility. Visits to the reservoir will take an additional two hours.
Spring Hollow Reservoir & Treatment Facility
The Spring Hollow Reservoir and Treatment Facility is located in western Roanoke County, just past Dixie Caverns. Students who visit our Spring Hollow facility will also visit our lab to learn about the chemical and bacteriological tests that we conduct on the drinking water in our distribution system. A classroom-style conference room is available for environmental education programs.
Please allow 45 minutes to tour the treatment and laboratory facilities. Visits to the dam and reservoir will take an additional 30-minutes.
Crystal Spring Filtration Facility & Historic Pump Station
Located next to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Crystal Spring offers a look at Roanoke’s oldest drinking water source. Visitors to Crystal Spring can view the water in the spring box, learn about the microfiltration process and see how Crystal Spring played a role in Roanoke’s early history and development. At the historic pumping station, located next to the filtration building, students can watch a short video about the history of Roanoke and Crystal Spring and see the Snow Steam Pump manufactured during the Industrial Revolution to pump water into the growing City of Roanoke.
Please allow 1.5 hours for your tour of Crystal Spring.