- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
COVID19 and the WVWA
Learn how we are protecting our community and see what you can do to help
6/24/2020 3:20:00 PM
Carvins Cove Boat Landing Information
Click to see current information about visiting Carvins Cove.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
5/20/2020 10:39:00 AM
Our experiential, Standards of Learning-correlated programs make relevant the science and wonder of our important water resources. Elementary lessons cover topics such as the water cycle, watersheds and the fascinating properties of water. Secondary students learn about watershed protection, GIS mapping and future careers in the water and wastewater industry. Learn about our specific offerings.
Tours of Our Treatment Facilities and Carvins Cove Reservoir:
You will be amazed to learn what goes on behind the faucet as we treat and deliver the highest quality drinking water. We offer Tours of our facilities to student groups as well as to civic and community groups of 10 or more participants. In order to provide a safe and enjoyable experience, age and maximum group size restrictions do apply.
We will come to your civic or community group to share information about your water source, how we treat your water and improvements we are making to the water and wastewater infrastructure. Contact Us for scheduling and information.
Visit our Western Virginia Water Authority YouTube page for videos that feature portions of some of our education outreach classroom programs.
Learn more about our specific programs, tours, and field trips:
Check out all of our offerings in our printable 2019-2020 Education Guide.
You can also view a PDF of our Education Guide by double-clicking on the image below.
Please note: Registration for the 2020-2021 academic year is not yet open. Please check back for updated registration information.