- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
The Western Virginia Water Authority and the City of Roanoke Parks & Recreation have worked together to develop a Carvins Cove Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) Certification Program to promote and ensure safe and enjoyable paddleboarding at Carvins Cove while protecting the Roanoke Valley's water supply.
Paddleboarders will need to present a SUP certification or proof of SUP class to the City of Roanoke Parks & Recreation Department to purchase a SUP Certification Badge before paddleboarding at the Cove.
To obtain your SUP Certification Badge you will need to (1) participate in, to the satisfaction of the instructor, a Learn to SUP, SUP Water Safety or similar course through Roanoke Parks and Recreation (RPR), or (2) have taken a course within the last year with RPR or have a current SUP Certification through the ACA, PSUPA, WPA or other recognized organization.
- Visit and register with the City of Roanoke Parks and Recreation Offices signifying you understand and agree with the Stand Up Paddleboard Agreement. There is a registration fee of $10 to obtain a badge which will “certify” you to SUP at Carvins Cove for two years.
- Show your badge to the Carvins Cove Boat Landing attendants. At this time you will also need to pay any associated boat launching fees, be subject to a boat inspection and show the attendants that you have the necessary equipment to SUP on the reservoir. You must keep your badge on your PFD at all times while on the water.
- Paddleboarders aged 12-16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Paddleboarders must bring their own equipment (board, paddle, PFD, leash) as there will not be SUP equipment to rent at the Carvins Cove Reservoir. A SUP leash must be worn at all times while on the water. Personal flotation devices are required.
Paddleboarders need to be aware that water temperatures below 70º Fahrenheit can lower the body's temperature and cause hypothermia. For your safety, wet suits should be worn when water temperatures are below 70º F. The Carvins Cove Boat Landing attendants reserve the right to restrict paddleboarding access to Carvins Cove when conditions, including low or high water, high winds, water temperature or other conditions make SUP unsafe.
April 1 to September 30: seven days a week, 6:30am to 9:30pm
October 1 to March 31: seven days a week, 8:30am to 6:30pm
Boat Launching Fees:
Cash or check only please.
Annual Fee: $75.00
Daily Use Fee: $5.00
All boats must have been out of other waters for at least the previous three weeks.
Questions and SUP Certification Badge Information:
Roanoke City Parks and Recreation
215 Church Avenue, Room 306
Roanoke, VA 24011
Kat Andrew: 540.853.1276
Carvins Cove Boat Landing:
9644 Reservoir Road
Roanoke, VA 24019