- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
The trail system and service roads at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve are available for hiking, biking and horseback riding. The terrain is moderately to steeply sloped, with an elevation gain of more than 1,000 feet from the reservoir to the peaks of the surrounding mountains.
Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is mostly forested with several different forest natural communities, perennial and intermittent streams, seasonal wetlands, and the reservoir, all of which provide diverse wildlife habitats. The natural reserve also harbors many rare or unusual species and natural features, including bald eagles and shale barrens.
For the enjoyment of all visitors, trail users are asked to be courteous; bikers should yield to hikers; bikers and hikers should yield to horseback riders. To prevent vegetation damage and potential soil erosion, ALL trail users must stay on trails and service roads at all times.
In order to keep the cove’s watershed free of pollutants that could affect the cove’s water quality, it is essential that horseback riders abide by the following regulation: Horseback riders must not leave any manure, hay or other debris in the Boat Landing parking lot, picnic area or any part of the reserve. This regulation must be followed or horseback riding at the natural reserve could be discontinued.
NEW! Hiking, Biking and Boating brochure - with a trail map
Carvins Cove Natural Reserve Trail Map
The Roanoke Valley Greenways also offer many other options for Hiking, Biking & Running in the area. You can view maps of the current Greenways in the Roanoke Valley or visit greenways.org for more information.
User Fees - Effective July 1, 2017
•Daily permit: $3.00 per person
•Annual permit: $25.00 per person
Permits may be purchased at the Carvins Cove Boat Landing, seven days a week or payment may be mailed to the address below. Once payment is received, a permit will be mailed to you.
Carvins Cove Boat Landing
9644 Reservoir Road
Roanoke, VA 24019
Hours of Operation:
• April 1 through September 30: Seven days a week, 6:30am - 9:30pm
• October 1 through March 31: Seven days a week, 8:30am - 6:30pm
Land use permits may also be purchased at payment drop boxes located at the Bennett Springs and Timberview parking lots. Please note that annual permits purchased at the payment drop boxes must be purchased with a check.
Bennett Spring Parking Lot: 4300 Carvins Cove Road, Salem, VA 24153
Timberview Parking Lot: 3399 Timberview Road, Roanoke, VA 24019