- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Cold Weather Plumbing Tips
It's cold outside - protect your pipes from freezing!
1/9/2019 4:30:00 PM
Simplify your life with Bank Draft
Click to see how Bank Drafting can simplify your life!
1/14/2019 10:40:00 AM
Find your next career at the Western Virginia Water Authority.
1/14/2019 8:30:00 AM
Using Our Customer Information System
The Western Virginia Water Authority's Customer Web Portal is where you sign up to receive paperless bills, review online water consumption data and pay your bill.
Customer Web Portal
- Please note that your user name and password should not include spaces.
- Once you create an account, you will receive an email from Customer Web to verify that we have the correct email address.
- Click on the link in the email we send you to start using all the great Customer Web features.
- Please make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled to allow the Customer Web Portal to work properly. Not sure how to do this? Click below on the web browser you are currently using to get directions.
- Internet Explorer
- On the menu bar, you can click to pay your bill (green button) or use the blue buttons to view your current bill, see previous bills or sign up for paperless bills.
- If you have more than one account with us, you can add them all to your one Customer Web account.
Simplified Payment Options
- We know you are busy, so we have simplified the payment options we offer. Of course we still accept mailed payments, but you can also go online to our secure Customer Web Portal or call us at 853-5700 to make a payment from your checking or savings account or with your credit or debit card.
- Payments are applied immediately, and you can see the amount of your payment deducted from your balance due. However, the payments will only show up in the transaction screen after they post the next business day.