- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Prescription Drug Take-Back Day
Turn in your unused or expired medication for safe disposal. October 26 from 10-2. Click for details.
What are the reservoir levels today?
What are the reservoir levels today?
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
8/14/2019 10:39:00 AM
Is there a water meter on the property where
you would like service?
Water meters are typically located between your property line and the city /county maintained road that serves your property.
New customer connections with an existing water meter:
If you wish to start or discontinue water/sewer service at a property with an existing meter, simply call one of our customer service representatives at 853-5700. We'll be happy to assist you.
If you are moving into a home that has been vacant for period of time, the Water Authority recommends you let water flow from your faucet for a few minutes prior to using the water. This flushes out water that has been sitting in the home's plumbing lines and pulls in new, fresh water from the distribution system. Flush your lines for 30 seconds to 2 minutes or until the water becomes cold or reaches a steady temperature.
New Customer Connections if there is not an existing water meter:
If there is not an existing meter on your piece of property and you need to request a new water/sewer service installation, complete an availability application which contains information about water and sewer availability, the Authority’s responsibility and the customer's responsibility, and the fees that must be paid in order to have water or sewer services installed.
Water and sewer rates must be paid in full prior to a building permit being released by the City of Roanoke or Roanoke County. You must have an address for your property before payment will be accepted for new service installations. The availability letter serves as an invoice and must accompany any payment.