- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Need to contact us?
Call 540.853.5700 to speak to one of our customer service representatives or send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org or use our online contact form. If you are calling about a water quality issue or have a water or sewer main break to report please call (540) 853-5700 instead of sending an email so we can quickly respond to your question.
Please note that Contact Form submissions and emails are only monitored during our regular business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
If you have a sewer or water emergency after hours, please call (540) 853-5700. Calls regarding water main breaks or sewer problems are answered 24-hours a day by representatives in the Roanoke County 911 Call Center. If you have a question about your account, we have customer service representatives available Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Stay in the know
Register with CodeRed and we’ll call the number you register to let you know about water outages impacting your neighborhood, a bill that is due or important safety information that you need to know. You can also sign up for the CodeRed Mobile App so you can get messages on the go.
Register online with eNotification to get emails pertaining to the specific topics you request on our website.
These systems are only used to notify you of important information concerning your service or account with the Western Virginia Water Authority. The information is never shared with any outside companies.
Western Virginia Water Authority
Customer Service Location
Western Virginia Water Authority
601 S. Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24011