- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Water Quality Report
Relay for Life and Fishing Tournament
Relay for Life and Fish for a Cure. Register for our night time fishing tournament on June 7.
5/1/2019 4:35:04 PM
April 27 Rx Take-Back Day
Have medications that you need to safely dispose of but missed our take-back event? Click to see a list of permanent collection boxes in the valley.
The Western Virginia Water Authority’s Administrative and Customer Service offices are conveniently located on the corner of Jefferson Street and Franklin Road in downtown Roanoke. Parking is available on the streets adjoining our office building, and a pay-per-visit lot is available near our building at Bullitt and Jefferson.
Customer Service Representatives and Cashiers are available on the first floor of our Administrative and Customer Service offices in person or by phone Monday-Friday 8am – 5pm, excluding holidays.
Physical Address of the Administrative and Customer Service Offices
Payment drop boxes are available on Jefferson Street in front of the Authority’s Administrative and Customer Service offices, in the parking lot of the Roanoke County Administrative Office on Bernard Drive and in front of the City of Roanoke Municipal Building on Church Avenue.
Payments are accepted and Information about your account is available online through the Customer Web Portal or by phone through our Interactive Voice Response system at 853.5700.