- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
8/14/2019 10:39:00 AM
Dig with Care
Be safe. Call 811 before you dig.
8/14/2019 8:30:00 AM
Click to learn more about Authority Cares - our new utility assistance program
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
|Invitation to Bid: Substation Equipment||08/21/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|INVITATION TO BID - Hershberger Rd WM Repl Project||08/21/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|INVITATION TO BID: SEWER INSPECTION 2019NEW!||08/28/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|INVITATION TO BID: LAKEWOOD & WEATHERWOOD INTERCONNECTIONNEW!||09/05/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|Invitation to Bid - SUMMIT VIEW WATER STORAGE TANKNEW!||09/05/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|Invitation to Bid - Painting Goat Rock TankNEW!||09/10/2019 2:00 PM||Open|
|Invitation to Bid - High Service PumpsNEW!||09/12/2019 3:00 PM||Open|
Published Bid Tabulations
June 28, 2019 - Bid Tab Old Vinton Mill Road Water Main Repl Project
May 23, 2019 - Bid Tab Laboratory Analysis
April 23, 2019 - Bid Tab Actuators
March 18, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Wyndale Avenue Water Main Replacement project is Bowman-Griffin General Contractors, LLC - Bid Tabulation
January 16, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Jackson Avenue / 15th Street Water Main Replacement project is PIPECON, Inc. - Bid Tabulation
January 9, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Salem Turnpike Sanitary Sewer Replacement project is E.C. Pace Company - Bid Tabulation