- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
|Invitation to Bid - Annual Contract for Directional Drilling||03/29/2017 3:00 PM||Open|
|Annual Meter Testing||04/04/2017 3:00 PM||Open|
Published Bid Tabs
August 25, 2016 - E.C. Pace Company, Inc. was the apparent low bidder for the Beverly Blvd Sanitary Sewer Replacement Project
October 13, 2016: The bid for the Carvins Cove pier was awarded to Va Shoreline Contractors, LLC
November 2, 2016: The apparent low bidder for the Contract 1A-2016 Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation (sewer lining) project is AM-Liner EAST, Inc.
November 2, 2016: The apparent low bidder for the Contract 1B-2016 Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation (manhole rehab) project is Prism Contractors & Engineers, Inc.
November 9, 2016: Stone Bid Tab
November 16, 2016: The apparent low bidder for 2016 12-Inch Water Main Replacements Project is E.C. Pace Company, Inc.
November 17, 2016: The apparent low bidder for Contract 2 - Sewer Replacements Project is S. C. Rossi & Company, Inc.
December 7, 2016: The apparent low bidder for Rutrough Road Water & Sewer Extension Project - Phase I is Aaron J. Conner General Contractor, Inc.
February 7, 2017: The apparent low bidder for Painting of Carroll Ave Water Tank is Eastern Tank & Utility Services, Inc. Bid Tab
March 15, 2017: The apparent low bidder for the Water & Sewer Annual Contract is Wells Construction Company.