- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Relay for Life
See how you can have some fun, raise some funds and fight cancer as part of our Relay for Life Team.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
5/8/2018 10:39:00 AM
Find your next career at the Western Virginia Water Authority.
5/8/2018 8:30:00 AM
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
|INVITATION TO BID – Syracuse Avenue Waterline ReplacementNEW!||06/28/2018 2:00 PM||Open|
|Invitation to Bid - SUMMIT VIEW BUSINESS PARK UTILITY IMPROVEMENTS – PHASE 2NEW!||06/22/2018 11:00 AM||Open|
|INVITATION TO BID – HUNTINGTON BLVD WATER & SEWER MAIN REPLNEW!||07/18/2018 2:00 PM||Open|
|Invitation to Bid - Summit View Phase 1||07/09/2018 11:00 AM||Open|
|INVITATION TO BID – Peters Creek Road Sanitary Sewer Replacement||06/20/2018 2:00 PM||Open|
Published Bid Tabs
June 15, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the SS Rehab - Misc FY18 is IPR Northeast, LLC - Bid Tab
June 13, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Sunnybrook Drive Water Main Replacement is S. C. Rossi & Company, Inc. - Bid Tab
May 23, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Peters Creek Road Water Main Replacement - Phase 2 project is E.C. Pace Company, Inc. - Bid Tab
May 15, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Willow Rd - Linwood Rd Waterline Replacement Project is S C Rossi & Co - Bid Tab
May 10, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the New York Waterline Replacement Project is Jones & Sons Excavating - Bid Tabulation
May 9, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Waverly Neighborhood Waterline Replacement Project is E C Pace Company - Bid tabulation
May 2, 2018 - The apparent low bidders for the Williamson Road Water Main and Sanitary Sewer Replacement projects are S.C. Rossi & Co., Inc. (water main) and Portland Utilities Construction Co., LLC (sanitary sewer) - Bid Tabulation
April 25, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Carvins Cove Filter Upgrade Project is English Const. Co. Bid Tabulation
April 11, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Crystal Spring Ave Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation / Westside Boulevard Sanitary Sewer Rehabilitation project is Insituform Technologies, LLC - Bid Tabulation
March 8, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Cove Road Water Main Replacement project is E.C. Pace Company, Inc. - Bid Tab
March 7, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Lick Run Interceptor Rehabilitation Project is Insituform Technologies LLC - Bid Tab