- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Annual Water Quality Reports
The Western Virginia Water Authority is pleased to provide water quality reports to its customers. The Authority is committed to providing drinking water of the highest quality, and these reports include information about where your water comes from, what it contains and how it compares to the standards set by regulatory agencies. The Authority vigilantly safeguards the water supply and is proud to report that it is in full compliance with all monitoring and reporting requirements without a single violation.
For questions about the quality of our drinking water or these reports, call the Water Authority at 853-5700. If you would like a paper copy of the report mailed to you, please email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 853.5700. The Western Virginia Water Authority is proud to treat and deliver safe drinking water. Learn all about our water sources and treatment steps in our 2018 Water Quality Report publication.
1. 2018 Water Quality Report click to read the publication below or download the pdf document.
2. Additional Data for Franklin County well systems in service during calendar year 2017
Alton Park Lands End
Boxwood Green The Retreat
Cedar Ridge Ridgecrest
Cherokee Hills Royal Estates
Compass Cove Timberlake Crossing
Contentment Island Walnut Run
Fox Chase Water's Edge
Highland Lake Waverly
Lake Forest Weatherwood
Lakewood Forest Westlake Area Water (Treatment Plant & Distribution System)
3. Are you a Home Brewer? The Water Authority has compiled the specific water quality informationyou need for your water source.