- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Let us know if you find a leak
Please notify the Water Authority's Customer Service Department (by email or phone 853.5700) when you discover a leak and after you have it repaired.
Per our General Business Rules and Regulations, you have 30 days in which to repair a leak in order to qualify for a possible adjustment on your bill. You are allowed one leak adjustment every two years. We'll need to see your repair receipts, so remember to keep copies.
Do you need additional assistance?
The Western Virginiai Water Authority can answer any additional questions you have about leaks. Please contact one of our Customer Service Representatives at 540.853.5700, send an email to email@example.com or use our online contact form.
For a fee, the Water Authority can perform the following procedures: *
- Re-check a meter reading ($25.00)
- Meter accuracy test on a removable meter ($50.00)
- Meter accuracy test on a non-removable meter ($200.00)
* These fees will be waived if results indicate an error was made by the Water Authority.