- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
5/8/2018 10:39:00 AM
Find your next career at the Western Virginia Water Authority.
5/8/2018 8:30:00 AM
Dig with Care
Be safe. Call 811 before you dig.
5/8/2018 8:30:00 AM
Your sewer charges are based on your winter water consumption
Know your pipes and what to do if a back up occurs
Some things just don't belong in the sanitary sewer
We all have a role to play in protecting our drinking water
Keep your pipes from freezing ... and what to do if they do freeze
Keeping water in your plumbing trap keeps the smells away
Where does your water come from and how do we treat it
We deliver much more than just water and wastewater service!
Follow along as we treat the valley's sanitary sewer