- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Nov 17: Main Break on Brambleton Avenue
Customers along Brambleton Avenue SW between Fishburn Park and Rosewood Avenue SW will experience reduced pressure or service interruption until the main is repaired.
Find your career at the Water Authority
What are the reservoir levels today?
What are the reservoir levels today?
The Western Virginia Water Authority is divided into six divisions to serve our customers. Representatives in each division can be reached by calling 853.5700. There is a spell-by-name directory to connect you to the person you need, or our customer service staff will be happy to assist you. You can also email Water Authority emails by using the first name.last email@example.com format.
The Authority’s Executive Directors, Mike McEvoy (Executive Director Wastewater Services) and Gary Robertson, P.E. (Executive Director Water Operations) report to the Authority’s Board of Directors and have the direct supervision of all employees of the Authority, the establishment of guidelines for efficient and sound fiscal management and are responsible for the strategic direction of the Authority.
Engineering Services is responsible for capital projects, mapping, utility line location, real estate, construction inspection and development issues. The Engineering Services Division is located in the Water Authority's headquarters at 601 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011. Scott Kroll, P.E. is the Director of Engineering Services.
Finance and Administration
The Finance and Administration Division oversees customer billing, finance, human resources and technological support. The customer billing office and finance and administration offices are located at the Water Authority's headquarters at 601 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011.
The Field Operation Division handles construction and maintenance of the Water Authority's water distribution and wastewater collection system. This division, led by Trent Cox, P.E., Director Field Operations, maintains over 1500 miles of water lines, 980 miles of sewer lines and 6,000 fire hydrants in the City of Roanoke and the Counties of Roanoke County, Franklin and Botetourt. The mailing address for the Field Operations Division is 3322 Hollins Road, N.E., Roanoke, VA 24012.
The Water Operations Division is responsible for the operation of all water treatment plants, pump stations and storage tanks, as well as meter maintenance. The mailing address for the Water Operations Division is 2012 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24014. Roger Blankenship, P.E. is the Director of Water Operations.
Wastewater Services is based at the Roanoke Regional Water Pollution Control Plant in southeastern Roanoke. This division is responsible for the operation of the plant, which treats wastewater from throughout the Roanoke Valley. Water Pollution Control also manages the industrial pretreatment and biosolids land application programs and the sanitary sewer evaluation and rehabilitation (SSE/R) program. The mailing address for the Water Pollution Control Plant is 1502 Brownlee Ave, SE, Roanoke, VA 24014. Scott Shirley is the Director of Wastewater Operations.
General Mailing Address:
Western Virginia Water Authority
601 S. Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24011
General Contact Information:Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org