- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
What are the reservoir levels today?
What are the reservoir levels today?
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
12/6/2019 10:39:00 AM
Click to learn more about Authority Cares - our utility assistance program
The Western Virginia Water Authority is divided into six divisions to serve our customers. Representatives in each division can be reached by calling 853.5700. There is a spell-by-name directory to connect you to the person you need, or our customer service staff will be happy to assist you. You can also email Water Authority employees by using the first name.last email@example.com format.
The Authority’s Executive Director, Michael McEvoy, reports to the Authority’s Board of Directors and has the direct supervision of all employees of the Authority, the establishment of guidelines for efficient and sound fiscal management and are responsible for the strategic direction of the Authority.
Engineering Services is responsible for capital projects, mapping, utility line location, real estate, construction inspection and development issues. The Engineering Services Division is located in the Water Authority's headquarters at 601 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011. Scott Kroll, P.E. is the Director of Engineering Services.
The Finance and Administration Division oversees customer billing, finance, human resources and technological support. The customer billing office and finance and administration offices are located at the Water Authority's headquarters at 601 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke, VA 24011.
The Customer Operations Division handles customer service, billing, collections, information technology construction and maintenance of the Water Authority's water distribution and wastewater collection system. Leana Stoltz is the Chief Operating Officer for Customer Operaions. Trent Cox is the Deputy Chief Operating Officer.
Water Quality Division
The Water Quality Division is responsible for producing Virginia's best tasting water and for returning the highest quality treated wastewater back to our environment. Scott Shirley is the Chief Operating Officer for Plant Operations. Roger Blankenship is the Deputy Chief Operating Officer.
General Mailing Address:
Western Virginia Water Authority
601 S. Jefferson Street
Roanoke, VA 24011
General Contact Information:Customer Service: firstname.lastname@example.org