- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
The Western Virginia Water Authority was formed on July 1, 2004 when the water and wastewater operations of the City of Roanoke and Roanoke County consolidated. Five years later, on November 24, 2009, Franklin County officially joined the Western Virginia Water Authority and Botetourt County joined on July 1, 2015. The Authority now provides water service to over 59,000 customer accounts and wastewater service for more than 51,000 accounts in the City of Roanoke, Roanoke County, Franklin County and Botetourt County. The Authority also contracts to operate the water and wastewater systems for the Town of Fincastle.
The Authority offers personal customer service in downtown Roanoke at our office on the corner of Jefferson and Franklin.
Mailing Address:Western Virginia Water Authority 601 S. Jefferson Street Suite 200 Roanoke, VA 24011
Contact Us:Customer Service: email@example.com
Contact Us form