- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Relay for Life
See how you can have some fun, raise some funds and fight cancer as part of our Relay for Life Team.
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe
5/8/2018 10:39:00 AM
Find your next career at the Western Virginia Water Authority.
5/8/2018 8:30:00 AM
Western Virginia Water Authority
Our normal office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am - 5pm. To report a water or sewer emergency when the offices are closed, please call 540-853-5700. A representative from Roanoke County's 911 Call Center can dispatch one of our technicians to assist you.
You can contact a specific Water Authority employee by using the email@example.com format or by using the spell by name directory (Option 1) at 540-853-5700.
Your Water Authority account is available through the View and Pay Your Bill link on our homepage. You can see your current balance and due date, view your payment history, monitor your consumption history and view a summary of your monthly billing balances.
You can also contact the Water Authority electronically by filling out the Online Contact Form.