- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Relay for Life
Join us as we raise funds for the American Cancer Society. Click to see all our upcoming open to the public events.
4/7/2017 4:08:00 PM
HomeServe Service Line Protection
Click to learn more about Service Line Protection Programs offered by HomeServe?
3/30/2017 4:46:00 PM
Simplify your life with Bank Draft
Click to see how Bank Drafting can simplify your life!
3/1/2017 9:28:00 AM
Minutes of the Western Virginia Water Authority Board of Directors
Approved minutes of the Western Virginia Water Authority for the current and prior fiscal years are published on this web site. For copies of prior years' minutes, please contact the Board’s secretary at email@example.com.
2017 Meeting Minutes
2016 Meeting Minutes
January 21, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
February 18, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
March 17, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
April 21, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
May 19, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
June 23, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
July 21, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
The Board of the WVWA did not meet in August.
September 15, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
November 17, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes
The Board of the WVWA did not meet in December.