- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Meetings of the Western Virginia Water Authority Board of Directors are open to the public. Meetings are typically held the third Thursday of each month with the exception of August and December in the Board Room on the second floor of its Administrative Offices at 601 South Jefferson Street, Roanoke, Virginia 24011. Please contact the Board Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org for prior years' agendas.
Special meetings can be scheduled as needed. Public hearings, when needed, will be scheduled on the third Thursday in the regular meeting month at 5:30 p.m. for the convenience of the general public.
Meeting dates and times may be altered at the board members' discretion.
Current Year Board Meeting Agendas
January 18, 2018
February 15, 2018
March 15, 2018
April 19, 2018
May 17, 2018
June 21, 2018
July 19, 2018
The Board of the WVWA did not meet in August
September 20, 2018
October 18, 2018
November 15, 2018