- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
Users can sign up for e-notifications for RFPs and Invitations to Bid. Please note that it is still the ultimate responsibility of the user to check the Western Virignia Water Authority's website for updates as e-alerts may not be issued for every web update.
Invitation to Bid: Painting RCIT Tank
- Department:Water Distribution
- Category:Invitations to Bid
- Start Date:03/10/2020 2:57 PM
- Close Date:04/07/2020 2:00 PM
The Western Virginia Water Authority will receive sealed Bids for the painting of the RCIT Water Tank at Roanoke Regional WPCP, 1502 Brownlee Ave., Roanoke, VA, 24014 until 2:00 p.m. local time on April 7, 2020, at which time the Bids received will be publicly opened and read. The Project consists of near white metal blast cleaning (interior), High Pressure blast cleaning, hand tool cleaning, or power tool cleaning (exterior), and Painting. Prospective Bidders must examine and download the Bidding Documents.
Addendum #1: March 16,2020 The Prebid meeting is not mandatory, and is canceled.
Published Bid Tabulations
March 24, 2020 - Bid Tab - Crystal Spring Pump Station Relocation
February 2020 - Bid Tab - Roanoke Regional WPCP Electrical Upgrade
December 13, 2019 - Bid Tab - Mudlick Creek Interceptor Extension (ORRI Improvements - Phase 3)
October 30, 2019 - Bid Tab Systemwide Manhole Rehabilitation Project (Zones 1 & 2)
October 30, 2019 - Bid Tab Pipe Purchasing Contract