- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
Users can sign up for e-notifications for RFPs and Invitations to Bid. Please note that it is still the ultimate responsibility of the user to check the Western Virignia Water Authority's website for updates as e-alerts may not be issued for every web update.
INVITATION TO BID - OLD VINTON MILL RD WM REPL PROJECT
- Department:Public Information Office, Engineering, Human Resources, Finance, Water Distribution, Reservoir Management, Wastewater, Field Operations, IT, Infrastructure Improvements, Carvins Cove Natural Reserve
- Category:Engineering, Invitations to Bid
- RFP Number:INVITATION TO BID - OLD VINTON MILL RD WM REPL PROJECT
- Start Date:06/02/2019 8:00 AM
- Close Date:06/26/2019 2:00 PM
INVITATION TO BID – OLD VINTON MILL RD WM REPL PROJECT
The Western Virginia Water Authority (Authority) will receive sealed Bids for the construction of the OLD VINTON MILL ROAD WATER MAIN REPLACMENT PROJECT at the Authority’s Engineering Services Office, Third Floor, Suite 300, 601 South Jefferson Street, Roanoke, Virginia, 24011 until 2:00 p.m. local time on June 26, 2019, at which time the Bids received will be publicly opened and read. The Project consists of 2,666 L.F. of 12-inch diameter ductile iron water main, 165 L.F. of 12-inch diameter water main installed using horizontal directional drilling, and related water appurtenances. Bids will be received for a single prime Contract. Bids shall be on a unit price and lump sum basis, with additive alternate bid items as indicated in the Bid Form. Bid security shall be furnished in accordance with the Instructions to Bidders.
Prospective Bidders must examine and download the Bidding Documents at www.westernvawater.org under ‘I AM A…BIDDER/CONTRACTOR/CONSULTANT, Invitations to Bid’. Printed copies of the Bidding Documents will not be issued. Prospective Bidders may direct technical inquiries to Owner’s Project Manager, Ian Smith, PE, e-mail email@example.com (strongly preferred), telephone 540-283-2933, fax 540-283-8212.
A pre-bid conference will be held at 2:00 p.m. local time on June 12, 2019 in the Authority’s Board Room.
Bidders are referred to the Code of Virginia § 54.1-1100 et seq. for contractor requirements. Bidders shall provide evidence of authorization to transact business in the Commonwealth of Virginia by providing the identification number issued to Bidder by the State Corporation Commission in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4311.2. The Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or religion. The Authority does not discriminate against faith-based organizations in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4343.1. A Bid may be withdrawn in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4330 by giving notice in writing of Bidder’s claim of right to withdraw Bid within two business days after the conclusion of the bid opening procedure and submitting original work papers with such notice.
Addendum #1 will be posted here on or before June 19, 2019
Reference for Bidders form as cited in Addendum #1 is located here.
Bidders shall be responsible for downloading any subsequent addenda from this site prior to submitting a Bid.
Western Virginia Regional Design and Construction Standards
Project Plans (Complete Set)
Sheet 1 - Cover
Sheet 2 - General Notes & Proposed Legend
Sheet 3 – Survey Schedules, Notes, & Existing Legend
Sheet 4 – Sheet Layout & Fire Hydrant Coverage Map
Sheet 5 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 10+00 to Sta. 13+90
Sheet 6 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 13+90 to Sta. 16+25
Sheet 7 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 16+25 to Sta. 21+21
Sheet 8 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 21+21 to Sta. 24+02
Sheet 9 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 24+02 to Sta. 29+39
Sheet 10 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 29+39 to Sta. 34+22
Sheet 11 – 12” Water Main Plan – Profile, Sta. 34+22 to Sta. 37+56 (End)
Sheet 12 – Temporary Traffic Control Plan Notes
Sheet 13 – Traffic Control Plan Figure 1
Sheet 14 – Traffic Control Plan Figure 2
Sheet 15 – Traffic Control Plan Figure 3
Project Manual (Complete Set)
Table of Contents
00111 Advertisement for Bids
00200 Instructions to Bidders
00410 Bid Form
00435 Bid Bond
00610 Performance Bond
00615 Payment Bond
00700 General Conditions
00800 Supplementary Conditions
01220 Unit Prices
01881 Special Requirements
Roanoke Parks and Recreation Seeding Specification
Published Bid Tabulations
September 27, 2019 - Bid Tab FY20 Pipe Lining
September 12, 2019 - Bid Tab Goat Rock Water Storage Tank Painting
September 5, 2019 - Bid Tab - Lakewood Forest & Weatherwood Interconnection
August 28, 2019 - Bid Tab - Sewer Inspection 2019
August 23, 2019 - Bid Tab - Substation Equipment
August 21, 2019 - Bid Tab - Hershberger Rd WM Repl Project