- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Please contact only those telephone numbers listed in published Bids.
There will be NO plan holder's list for a project with on-line plans.
If bid tabs are published, please allow at least one business day after bids/proposals are opened for the information to be available on the bottom of this page. Questions should be directed to the individual project manager.
The Authority's current operating and capital budget is available online.
Invitation to Bid - JACKSON AVENUE / 15TH STREET WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT
- Department:Engineering, Water Distribution, Wastewater, Infrastructure Improvements
- Category:Engineering, Invitations to Bid
- Start Date:12/09/2018 8:00 AM
- Close Date:01/16/2019 2:00 PM
WESTERN VIRGINIA WATER AUTHORITY
JACKSON AVENUE / 15TH STREET WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS
The Western Virginia Water Authority (Authority) will receive sealed Bids for the construction of the JACKSON AVENUE / 15TH STREET WATER MAIN REPLACEMENT at the Authority’s Engineering Services Office, Third Floor, Suite 300, 601 South Jefferson Street, Roanoke, Virginia, 24011 until 2:00 p.m. local time on January 16, 2019, at which time the Bids received will be publicly opened and read. The Project consists of replacing approximately 3,172 linear feet of existing water main with new 8-inch diameter water main and associated appurtenances in Roanoke, Virginia. Bids will be received for a single prime Contract. Bids shall be on a unit price and lump sum basis, with additive alternate bid items as indicated in the Bid Form. Bid security shall be furnished in accordance with the Instructions to Bidders.
Prospective Bidders must examine and download the Bidding Documents at www.westernvawater.org under ‘I AM A…BIDDER/CONTRACTOR/CONSULTANT, Invitations to Bid’. Printed copies of the Bidding Documents will not be issued. Prospective Bidders may direct technical inquiries to Owner’s Project Manager, Earl Smith, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
A non-mandatory pre-bid conference will be held at 2:00 p.m. local time on December 19, 2019, in the Authority’s Board Room.
Bidders are referred to the Code of Virginia § 54.1-1100 et seq. for contractor requirements. Bidders shall provide evidence of authorization to transact business in the Commonwealth of Virginia by providing the identification number issued to Bidder by the State Corporation Commission in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4311.2. The Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or religion. The Authority does not discriminate against faith-based organizations in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4343.1. A Bid may be withdrawn in accordance with the Code of Virginia § 2.2-4330 by giving notice in writing of Bidder’s claim of right to withdraw Bid within two business days after the conclusion of the bid opening procedure and submitting original work papers with such notice.
Addendum #1 includes the attendance record for the pre-bid conference.
Bidders shall be responsible for downloading any subsequent addenda from this site prior to submitting a Bid.
Published Bid Tabulations
March 18, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Wyndale Avenue Water Main Replacement project is Bowman-Griffin General Contractors, LLC - Bid Tabulation
January 16, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Jackson Avenue / 15th Street Water Main Replacement project is PIPECON, Inc. - Bid Tabulation
January 9, 2019 - The apparent low bidder for the Salem Turnpike Sanitary Sewer Replacement project is E.C. Pace Company - Bid Tabulation
December 20, 2018: Meter Bid Tab
November 15, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for the Clubhouse SS Replacement Project is E.C. Pace Company - Bid Tab
November 7, 2018 - The apparent low bidder for Root Control is Duke’s Root Control, Inc.