- The cost of one bottle of water from a vending machine is equivalent to the cost of drinking 8 glasses of tap water every day for a year.
- A gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds.
- The Water Authority maintains almost 1500 miles of drinking water pipes. If you put them end-to-end, they would stretch from Roanoke to Colorado Springs, CO.
- At one drip per second, a faucet can leak 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- Water is the only substance naturally found on earth as a solid, liquid and gas.
- Over 713 gallons of water go into the production of one cotton T-shirt.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant is regarded as one of the best bird-watching areas in the mid-Atlantic region.
- The Water Authority maintains over 6,000 fire hydrants in our service area. Fire hydrants are connected to the public drinking water distribution lines, so water from a fire hydrant is drinking water.
- There are over 23,000 manholes in our service area.
- Carvins Cove Natural Reserve is the second largest municipal park in the United States.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant covers over 100 acres of land.
- More people in the world have a mobile phone than have a toilet.
- The Water Authority treats 19-million gallons of drinking water a day although we have the capacity to treat 56-million gallons per day.
- The Authority’s Water Pollution Control Plant treats almost 37-million gallons of wastewater a day from all across the Roanoke Valley.
- There are 51 drinking water storage tanks in our service area. They each hold between 500,000 – 2-million gallons of water.
- Most of the treated drinking water used in a home is for toilet flushing.
Bill Pay Options
March 18, 2020: For the safety of our customers and our staff, the Western Virginia Water Authority is closing our customer service and payment lobby at 601 S. Jefferson Street until further notice.
We are asking customers to please consider utilizing one of the payment options we have that don't involve coming into our office. Please see our payment options page for a complete list of our online, phone, mail and dropbox options.
If you need to make a cash payment, a secure drop box in our outer lobby is now available. You can pay by cash, check or money order at the Water Authority's Utility Billing Office at 601 S. Jefferson Street in downtown Roanoke at the corner of Franklin Road and Jefferson Street in the building historically known as the Coulter Building. A secure payment drop box is located in our outer lobby area (perks of our building once being a bank!). Payments in this drop box are accepted Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except on holidays.
There is also a payment drop box that can be used anytime on the curb outside of our building. However, please do not put cash in the exterior drop box. Please see westernvawater.org/paymybill for a full list of payment options.